The Housing Choice Voucher program (Section 8) is a federally-funded program which provides money to help eligible individuals and families pay their rent. Tenants who participate in the program will have part of their rent paid to their landlord by the Sault Ste. Marie Housing Commission.
If you are considering the Section 8 rental voucher program, keep in mind these tenant responsibilities:
- Comply with lease, and landlord/tenant laws
- Pay your share of the rent
- Make your utility payments, if any, when due
- Take appropriate care of the property
- Respect the rights of others
- Contact the Sault Ste. Marie Housing Commission for instructions if you wish to move before the lease expires
- Permit annual inspections to ensure property is in good condition
- Recertify every year if you wish to continue participating in the program
- Immediately report any changes in family composition or income
Individuals receiving rental assistance must sign a lease for a minimum of one year. Only one lease is allowed for a tenant receiving assistance. Whether you remain where you live now or move to a new rental, your housing must meet two requirements:
- The total cost of rent plus utilities must be within subsidy standards.
- The house or apartment must be in good condition- decent, safe, and sanitary.
The Sault Ste. Marie Housing Commission will inspect the unit to see if it meets HUD’s housing quality standards. We will be inspecting to make certain there is:
- Adequate living area
- Adequate light and ventilation
- Adequate heating, electrical, water, and sewer and structural systems
- Freedom from any condition which endangers the health and safety of the occupants
For more information about the Section 8 voucher program, call our office at 635-5841.
Drop By Our Office
Washington, MD 20005